3rd July 2015
Writing: Matthew Dagnall (Year 10)
As part of their GCSE course, the Year 10 RS students had the privilege of a visit to Coventry Cathedral - the largely recognised centre of reconciliation. Originally just a church, it was elevated to the status of a cathedral in 1918. However, in 1940 during the Blitz, it was all but destroyed in the Luftwaffe bombing on Coventry. The people of Coventry Cathedral chose to forgive the bombers and to not take revenge which is why it is a centre for reconciliation. The site of the old cathedral ruins remain after architect Basil Spence decided to leave as they were.
We were given a tour of both the old and new cathedral, including a climb up the cathedral’s spire, which at 90 metres is the third tallest in England. We also attended a short daily service held in the old cathedral which included a minute’s silence for the disaster in Tunisia a week prior. After lunch, we got involved and attempted to make an origami crane (a symbol of peace), and visited the room of unity, in which the concept of unity was expressed by a display of golf balls being dropped from the edges of the sloped room and all meeting in the middle.
Overall, it was a really interesting trip and thank you to Mr Wallington-Smith, Mr Graham and Mr Deakin for organising it.